Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Favorite Food in Yokosuka (aka "Things I Ate")

One of the great things about being here in Japan is trying all the neat food. Japan is a place that people from all over the world come to live or work, and it shows. Just like in the US you can get so many different kinds of food. It's fantastic. Here I've had some of the best Thai and Indian food of my life. Ironically, I'm not really one for Japanese food. Sushi is good, but a lot of the food seems pretty basic. One thing that the Japanese have figured out, though, is curry. Indians and Thai people brought curry here and the Japanese have made their own version of it that I think is great. Curry has been a staple since we got here. We've Indian curry (two kinds), Thai curry (four kinds), and Japanese curry. My life has changed forever.
Oh, I forgot about Yakitori. It's like kabobs. Yakitori means barbecue chicken, it just happens they cook it on a stick. Yakitori is delicious; you have to eat kind of a lot of it to make a meal, though.
So anyway, here are my two favorite places to eat and my favorite place to have a snack. The favorite places to eat are in no particular order. I can't be forced to make that choice.

I'll start with Thai Erawan. My buddy Jordan introduced this place to us the first night we went out. We were very disoriented so he was leading us around. Pretty soon we came to this elevator, which I though was odd because it was basically out on the street. Up to this point it had been my custom to enter a building first, then the elevator, but this is Japan. Sometimes there isn't space for it.
Up there on the third floor you can see some windows. That's the place. I'm guessing they rely on word of mouth because if you didn't know it was there, you never would. Also, at the bottom of the picture you can see the elevator. Don't worry about them, though. The place is famous (at least among the Americans). I'm sure they never hurt for business.There it is, on third floor. (Well, actually, it is the third floor.)

Like I said, the food is awesome. Here I'm having a yellow curry. I don't know why they call it that, but all their curries were just called by a color. Most of them were spicy, but this one was just about the flavor.That thing on Chelsea's plate is a rice paper. It's kind of like a non-fried egg roll with some different flavors. Tasty.
At the counter you get a friendly reminder that you must carry cash in Japan. Most restaurants don't take card.

Next is Coco Curry. I love Coco Curry because of the value as well as the food. Thai Erawan is great, but it's just a hair on the spendy side. Coco specializes in that Japanese curry I was talking about. Delicious. Another nice thing about Coco is that it's about half a block away. Perfect for those crappy weather nights we have here sometimes.
Coco is also interesting in that they really try to cater to an international crowd. I can understand having an English menu, but their is in several languages (which they like to show off).Of course the top is English, second from the bottom is Portuguese, so I could read that too, and the very bottom one is Japanese, so I can almost identify some of the characters. The other thing that says "foreigners come eat here" is that you will find no chopsticks. They serve up the curry with a spoon (you can take one home for only 250 yen). Here's a picture inside. The last place is the snack place. Yakitori. Occasionally you will find these little stands that always have people huddled around them. They are always busy with good reason. It's tasty and cheap. The sign says that everything is 70 yen. That's about 85 cents. Basically, you grab and eat and when you're done you take your sticks to the guy and pay for as much as you ate.
At the yakitori stand they have chicken and pork, but if you're really adventurous you can try some hearts and liver too. I'm not a fan, but they seem to sell. It's not really surprising, though, that the biggest stack there is the chicken stack. Also check out his automated cooking machine. He puts raw meat on a stick and it goes through one side, is automatically dipped in sauce, then passes through the other side, and falls out ready to go. Like I said, you would have to eat a lot to make a meal out of it, but it makes for a great snack.

I'm getting to the point that I'm ready to come home, but I'm definitely going to miss the food.

2 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger Tara said...

I go for flavor over spice.

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger Chelsea said...

Love the blog babe! It made my mouth water just reading about that food! I agree, these were probably my favorite places to go too! Although I loved the sushi place as well! I miss you...Jake and I are counting the days!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home