Friday, March 19, 2010

Sushi!

I've really never been that enticed by sushi. Lots of people say it's delicious and that they enjoy eating it, but I've never really eaten it. My sushi experience amounts to a couple of california rolls at the occasional chinese buffet but I'm sure many sushi lovers would say that that barely counts. In coming to Japan I figured if I was going to really try it I might as well do it in Japan. Tonight we went to Point Sushi here in Yokosuka. It's one of the many "sushi-go-round" places here. I don't know if that's what the locals call it, but that's what us Americans call it. Basically, the sushi is on little plates which ride around the restaurant on little tracks. As it goes by you pull off the ones you want. Here's a picture of our booth's control panel. It's very high tech.

On to the sushi!
The way this place keeps track of what you eat is by how many plates you take. Each plate is worth 100 yen (about $1), and after you eat what you took you put the plate in this slot and it keeps track of your tab. You can see the slot in the bottom of the control panel picture. In the next picture there is a really thick blue plate and a red bowl. The thick blue plate is actually two plates which means that item is 200 yen. The red bowl is something that was ordered by someone else so you shouldn't take it.

That 200 yen thing looks like crab or something. The thing on the red bowl is a seafood salad wrapped in some seaweed or something. The seafood salad was good, but I could do without the green wrapper.
After one or two harmless but tasty little bits I decided to be a little more daring. A little plate came by containing three little squid. I thought, "what the heck?" and I grabbed it. Here I am about to tuck into it.

I'm glad I ate it because now I can say I've done it, but I don't think I'll be doing it again. It was a little too squishy.
We mostly stuck to the tamer stuff, but there was something there for everyone.
Chelsea particularly liked these little sweet potatoes.
They had a delicious honey glaze on them.After we had our fill we sat there for a while watching things go by and taking pictures of some of them. Here are some of them.

This one was pretty tame. Tasty too.

Here is one of my favorites. It had some onion and mayo on top. Tasty.

This one looked like it had bacon on top. I don't know what it was, but I will eat it again.

After the squid I wasn't adventurous enough to try this one.

I already didn't like the green stuff, and the fish eggs just weirded me out.

Lastly we have some octopus. Again, I wasn't brave enough to tackle this one. Maybe next time.

3 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger Miriam said...

Good for you - I have yet to get up the nerve to try sushi, though a lot of people seem to like it! It sure is pretty though!

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Tara said...

"Too Squishy"...that made me laugh. Although, it reminded me of some of the things we ate on the cruise. I wish I had written all that stuff down because I can't remember all of it. I'll have to make sure I do that on our next cruise.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Chelsea said...

The squid was nothing like the cruise food. Both of us are regretting trying it, although now we'll never wonder about it. When we bit into it it squished and spewed, ugh! I keep eating things hoping to get the feel of it out of my mouth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home