Monday, April 28, 2008

FrontRunner Grand Opening

One of the reasons I like my job at UTA is that I get to be involved in things that the general public has tremendous interest in. Sometimes that's a bad thing. It seems that the transit authority can't do anything right some days. But every once in a while there comes along a great historical event that is long-awaited for many. One of those events happened this weekend. On Saturday April 26, UTA held the FrontRunner Grand opening. This marks the beginning of commuter rail service between Ogden and Salt Lake, and hopefully the marked reduction in traffic congestion along the I-15 corridor in Davis County.

Last time UTA did something this significant was when the light rail opened between Salt Lake and Sandy. That was 11 years ago and 10 to 12 years ago few people would have believed the impact the light rail has had on the valley. I think that the commuter rail will have at least as great an impact. Most of the people I work with were around when the light rail service was being built, so they have been through a big even like this before, but I'm happy that I've been able to be a part of this historic event.

By 2015 the commuter rail will extend from Brigham City to Payson and it will change the lives of people all along the way.

3 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger Tara said...

That's neat. I have never had the opportunity to ride a train (unless you count the one at Disneyland and Hogle Zoo). Spence and I will have to ride a real train sometime. We are excited to see you and Chels this weekend. Congrats on your graduation!!!

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger Miriam said...

I've been listening to this on the news (got more info from your blog, though -guess I wasn't paying really close attention to the TV!) Very interesting, I didn't realize it was going to look like a real train, I thought it would be more like the Trax.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Chelsea said...

Very cool! We got to ride the train for free a couple of weeks ago. UTA had an employee day! It was a lot of fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home