Monday, January 28, 2008

Land Cruisers are Awesome!!

I recently tried out this website I've know about for some time now. It's called Specter Off Road. They specialize in all things Land Cruiser. I just ordered some little things that I needed to give them a try. It was a fairly complicated order with lots of little parts and it was perfect.

The great thing about Specter is that they aren't just there to supply parts, but to further the cause. By that I mean spreading the good news of Land Cruiser. I mean, just listen to this slogan: "Specter Off Road, Drive a legend." How can you argue with that? Lots of people who drive these things drive them at least partly because of what they are--an icon. Check out this picture of an early Land Cruiser, an FJ55 to be exact. Vehicles like this conjure images of the African or Australian bush and this picture would not look amiss if it was in an arid climate and also pictured a tiger or kangaroo. Though Land Cruisers have become very luxurious, the heritage still lies in the bush. Specter Off Road has a great section on the history of the Land Cruiser. You should check it out.

Now back to my Land Cruiser. It's time for a little service. I need to replace some of the front axle drive components as the existing ones are worn out. It turns out to be a pretty time consuming job according to my sources. By the way, my "sources" are hundreds of posts on one of my new favorite websites, www.ih8mud.com. This is an online forum for owners of Toyotas (mostly 4x4's and Land Cruisers) that has become a valuable resource since I'm the type of guy that likes to get under the hood every once in a while. For some time now I've been stifling my mechanical urges because I don't have a place to work them out, but my stifle tank is full and it's starting to spill out into the house and on the street. Most of the guys on this forum elevate Land Cruiser ownership from utilitarian maintenance to a very enjoyable past time. These many posts have helped me to have a good understanding of what I should expect when I'm up to my elbows in molybdenum grease. I'll keep you posted.

1 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Tara said...

Wow! Sounds like fun ... not!:) Love you anyways, Bro. Well maybe its fun for you, not me. And definitely not when it is -20 degrees outside with a windchill below that. Brrrrrr!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home