Monday, November 11, 2013

Gratitude

I've been thinking for a while that I should write this post. My last post about biking in Idaho is long since stale, but that wasn't enough to get be back out here. It's funny that that should be the case, though. The last few months have been pretty eventful. But since November is the month of gratitude, I am finally spurred into a long overdue expression of thanks.

The world today is filled with so much uncertainty and division. Don't get me wrong, those things always exist, but somehow, right now, it seems more acute. Most forget the common ground shared in favor of focusing on the divisive.

Earlier this year it looked as if the divisive issues in the government would render this a lean year. The spring was filled with anxiety for most of the people I know. For whatever reason, however, Chelsea and I were spared. We felt the anxiety and experienced just as much uncertainty as anyone else, but as it played out over the months, we found we were unharmed. Twice this year I was threatened with lost work, but neither time resulted in actual trouble. We were able to weather the normal problems of life. Problems like unexpected car problems and unexpected home repairs,



Of course, that's not to say we're out of the woods. Washington D.C. still hasn't figured out how to pass a budget, so it's still pretty touch and go. The watchword at the Shipyard is to just keep doing a good job and things will work out. That's pretty much right, too, because there's not much that we can do to help matters (since we failed to do so at the last election).

But that's enough about politics and ranting about working for the government.

The next thing I'm immensely grateful for is Chelsea and I have finally received the opportunity to be parents. As the months and years pass, it seems increasingly likely that our calling is to serve only children that are not our own. So far this has been a great opportunity.


We have been blessed by the children themselves but also by so many others who were so generous as we prepared to welcome children into our home. We are literally surrounded by friends. I'm thankful for every one.






Different divisive issues attack another part of my life. I love scouting and the associations formed there, both with other adult leaders, but also with the boys. It is very rewarding and I am grateful to be able to be a part of it. Issues (and the division they bring) at hand today have the power to destroy the scouting movement, but for now it continues to shape the lives of young men the way it shaped my life. I'm grateful for my involvement with it and that it continues to endure.








The list goes on, but that's all I can cram in here for now. Thanks for reading.

1 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Blogger Miriam said...

Great blog post Tom. I am GRATEFUL Chelsea found you :) <3

 

Post a Comment

<< Home