Monday, January 21, 2013

Chelsea's Birthday Weekend

I think this weekend was the longest single birthday celebration we've ever had. There wasn't anything special about the year number or anything like that. In fact, it wasn't planned as a whole weekend event. That's just how it ended up.

Originally Chelsea decided to celebrate on Saturday even though her actual birthday was Sunday. So we planned the day. Chelsea decided she wanted to make dinner at home rather than go out. We haven't had steaks in forever (actually, the last time we made steak at home was Valentines Day 2010 when I destroyed our back window) so we decided to go all out. Check these babies out!


Don't worry, the back window is safe.

Chelsea's friend also gave her some shrimp for her birthday so we sauteed that up with some onion and mushrooms. And we rounded it out with some green salad. Surf and turf at its finest.

While we got dinner ("dinner"- we ate at 3pm) ready we finished the last of our Lord of the Rings marathon we started last Monday when I was home sick. Chelsea also wanted a batch of delicious chocolate chip cookies. Most of the day was spent loafing. Good times.


The celebration continued on Sunday when we both had the privilege to wake up and go to a 7:15 am ward council meeting together. (Due to travel and tragedy, I'm all that's left of the young men's presidency for the time being.) After church, though, the day was pretty much like Saturday. Lots of loafing. It was one of those Sundays that precedes a Monday holiday. You can relax sure in the knowledge that your alarm won't be going off at 5:00 am the next day. Those days are marvelous.

Today was both productive and fun. We had dinner plans with Josh & Jana and Tony & Tiffany and I had only two chores I wanted to get done. One was to place those edging blocks I bought six months ago and the other was to finish the Washington State Engineering Law & Ethics exam that is required for my PE license application. The exam is done online and I have as much time as I want to finish it, before the deadline of course. I'm glad to say I got it all done. I passed the test and here's the proof of the yardwork:


It turned out just like I thought it would. I gotta figure out something better for that hose reel, though. I should have taken a before picture so you could see all the pitiful weeds and overgrown bed. Last year I tried growing grass there, but it was pretty tough ground. Instead I just decided I would use some of the leftover rock from the crawlspace project. Someday I'm going to take down that dish. I don't foresee us using it.

Time to start another week.

2 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Blogger Chelsea said...

Go birthday weekends! I really enjoyed the dinner on Saturday and hanging out with you! Love you babe!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Packrat said...

Just happened to see you had a new post. Happy birthday to Chelsea! Also, congrats on passing your exam, and the edging looks really nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home