Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pot Cozy

In a couple of weeks I'm going on my first backpacking trip of the summer. Oh, wait, I guess this would be the first backpacking trip of fall.
I missed summer backpacking!!
Man, this year was a busy one. On the plus side, we still did plenty of camping.
Anyway, so I decided to make a pot cozy for backpacking. I got the idea from this back country cookbook:
http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Cooking-Minutes-Backpacker-Guides/dp/0898865514
The idea is that sometimes you have to let your dehydrated or freeze dried foods sit in the hot water for a while before they're ready to eat. The cozy allows you to hold onto a hot pan and also keeps the heat in the food while it's getting ready. So here are some pictures.I used part of one of those blue foam pads that you can get for $5 at Wal-mart. The pot was 8" diameter so the circumference was about 25 inches. I cut two pieces at 12-1/2 inches, then made a saw-tooth pattern on them so they would lay down evenly, and cut it out. After that, it was just a matter of a bunch of duct tape. Piece of cake.

Above the pot is my little trial run.

Getting ready to fold each side down. I made each little joint one by one as I went around.


Here's that one-by-one progress.

It ended up being a little deeper than I thought it would so I put some padding in the bottom.


All in all, it took about a dollar worth of material, and about an hour of prime time TV. I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home