Monday, May 01, 2006

Signing Statements

Something is really rotten in D.C.

I have recently found out about a tidy little tool that President Bush has been using in his executive duties: The signing statement. What I gather is that this document allows Bush to pick and choose what he wants to actually enforce about the bills that he signs into law in congress. This article is required reading on the subject.

I was a Bush supporter back in '04 and I did vore for him. I must confess, though that part of my motivation for it was that John Kerry was such a fish. He was trying to win an election on purple hearts and vietnam service rather than tackling issues. He gave the distinct impression that he was somebody's puppet. Unforunately, it turns out that Bush is either somebody's puppet or certifiable. I really thought Bush was going to be able to clean up the mess he had made in Iraq, but he disappointed me and 68% of my fellow Americans.

Even as the Iraqi invasion seemed imminent so many years ago, I was against it. Worse, there was no actual declaration of war from congress to allow it. It was a bad idea from the beginning. It is true that Saddam was a terrible dictator but that doesn't make us and our army the world's babysitter. Can't we just have a defensive military like Japan?

To make a long story short, I'm on board with these states that are starting the process to seek impeachment. It sounds like a terrible word because we all grew up with Nixon and his synonymy with impeachment, but it really just means that we, the American people need to dig deeper and find out the truth about Bush's motives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home