Sunday, September 06, 2009

Auto Tour: Bon Jon Pass

So what do you do when the rain is coming down like crazy and you want to get into the wilderness? Why take an auto tour, of course. When I moved up here I bought a book called Washington Byways that has lots of good backroad drives. This weekend I decided to go to Bon Jon pass because it's relatively close, and because I've wanted to get to know the area a little better. And since rainy days make for some different photographic opportunities than sunny days, of course, I took my camera.

Bon Jon Pass is located in the north east of the Olympic National Forest.

Jake accompanied me on this trip, but I think I enjoy these car rides more than he does. Come to think of it, if Jake can put his head out the window he will be content for hours. Today it was raining off and on, so he couldn't stay out the whole time. We also hit a section of the road that the Land Cruiser barely fit through and he was getting smacked in the face, so I made him come in.Here's an interesting plant from the roadside. I don't know what it is, but I'll find out.As the rain came and went, the clouds rolled around the mountians creating these great effects. Bon Jon Pass itself was a little inderwhelming. I don't even have any pictures from it. There was no sign or marker indicating your location, you just had to recognize the location on the map. I love the Washington landscape and even though the pass wasn't all that cool, I still liked the drive. As always, the Land Cruiser was awesome. Despite its age, it brings comfort to the backcountry. This is the first long backcountry drive that I've had since I did some work on it. bumpy roads used to make my ABS light and check engine light come on and neither of those came on this time. All systems ran flawlessly. Jake was a champ, too. After three hours of driving he curled up on the backseat and waited patiently to get home.

6 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Blogger Packrat said...

Did you leave Chelsea at home? Sounds like a good day and that is really pretty country.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Chelsea said...

Yeah Tom.....how come I didn't even get a mention to explain my absence????

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Tara said...

Looks pretty. I talk to a student at work who was from the town where your new house is. What a small world. Thanks for sharing Chelsea with us this week.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Tom said...

Sorry about not mentioning Chelsea. I didn't know I had to account for her whereabouts at all times.
She's in Utah; well, on that day she was driving to Idaho, so lets just leave it at "out of town". Besides, she doesn't like this type of thing as much as I do. It's like how she watches chick flicks when I go camping.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Packrat said...

Sorry, I was just kidding (and being nosy). :)

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Miriam said...

As we drove into Roosevelt we looked around and commented we don't have quite the same landscape as Washington!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home