Sunday, August 30, 2009

Backpacking at Heather Creek

In keeping with my constant desire to find my way into the backcountry, my buddy Wood and I took advantage of a free Friday to hit the trail. We went to the Dungeness Trail in the Olympic National Forest. This trail is a little to the northwest of the Big Quilcene Trail that we took to Marmot pass about seven weeks ago. It was a great time.
This is Wood.This is me and the great pack that I got this year.This trail has two cool log bridges.
We found this great meadow to camp in. It was a little up the trail from the main camp so we had the place to ourselves.

Wood wanted to revive a tradition of old that he and his buddies used to have of cooking meat over the fire on a spit when camping. I was a little dubious at first, but he made a believer of me. We stopped at Wally's World on the way out of town and bought this seasoned pork loin roast.Wood made this spit out of some sticks that we found nearby. We basically just ate the meat right off the spit. It was quite delicious.For breakfast Wood was going to have scrambled eggs, but I also had a pouch of salmon and some tortillas so we had salmon and scrambled eggs breakfast burritos. Let's call it the accidental backcountry gourmet. I'll definitely remember this recipe for the future. It beats the crap out of outmeal.

I love the forest and I'm glad we had the chance to get out, brief though it was. Here's one last picture of the beauty of the backcountry.

3 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger Chelsea said...

I'm glad you guys had so much fun! I'm sure Wood was glad that you left out some of the interesting stories I heard! teeheehee

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Packrat said...

Glad you tried the meat on the spit. Best ever! Beautiful area.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Miriam said...

You just can't help but want to go camping in these woods in WA!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home