Friday, August 10, 2018

Change is STILL the Only Constant

Well it's time for our annual pilgrimage to Utah to see all the folks. This particular trip is full of change. At least, it's change from my perspective.

We first visited Chelsea's family in Roosevelt. That was unique because all of her family was going to be there. It was also unique because we all knew it was the last time we would be gathering in Roosevelt. They have an annual town party called Uintah Basin in Celebration (UBIC) and some of Chelsea's siblings have been there for it. Last year somebody floated the idea that we should all go. We were all there for just over 24 hours, but it happened. Well, except for David, but I'm sure he was there in spirit. Chelsea and I decided to drive through the night so we got there first thing in the morning rather than late afternoon which had been the plan. That got us there in time for the parade and street fair with fireworks to cap it off.


Anyway, it was great to be there. I hadn't been back to that house in a long time because my in-laws had lived in a different house for some time. It brought back a lot of memories. One of the first weekends we spent there one of the kids had a certain episode with too much apple juice on the ride down from Rexburg. This was a classic diarrhea in the tub situation. Not my kid, not my problem. Of course, now I have the young kids and that kid is a teenager. It's been a long time since then and now Chelsea and I have young children. Now it's my kid, my problem.

They bought that house 12 years ago and we moved to Washington 10 years ago, so it must have been in that window. It seems like we went there frequently when we lived in Salt Lake. I wonder if we went there more in that two year window than in the 10 years since.

With so many of us there it was a free-for-all when it came to sleeping arrangements. I actually think it's kind of fun in those situations. I like sleeping with my kids on the floor. They bonded with cousins, ate too much candy, stayed up too late, and argued at length. I'm sure they loved it.

The bottom line, though, is that was likely the last time we'll visit Roosevelt. The in-laws are preparing the house to sell and they've already started buying what will be their retirement home in Rexburg. So for them the Roosevelt chapter is closing, and soon. I'm pretty sure there will be no reason for me to return there unless I'm headed out on US 40 to Vernal or Flaming Gorge. It was a good run.

Now we've moved to the second phase of our trip down memory lane. For a few days we're staying in Salt Lake City. Normally we stay with my folks but they are going through a transition as well. Around the same time that the in-laws bought the Roosevelt house, my parents bought a duplex. For the last 13 or so years they've lived in one side while renting the other bu now they have just moved out of their half of that duplex to an apartment. Due to that transition, we are not staying there. We're staying in a condo near 4500 south and Main Street in Murray courtesy of Air BnB.

The change in this neighborhood is staggering to me. I grew up only a couple of miles from here. This area is being revitalized with mixed use zoning. Basically this means apartments over street level commercial space. It has a decidedly urban feel. My parent's new apartment is in this same area. The building is only six floors, but that's enough to give you a view over the street.


This feels more like urban apartments that I've stayed in in Yokosuka, Japan or Jequie, Brazil. Since my conception of the Salt Lake valley is still stuck 20 years in the past, finding an urban neighborhood at 4500 south is proving very difficult for my mind to accept, though I realize I have no choice. From this balcony I hear the cars in the streets, people talking, the passage of the UTA light rail and I can see a city skyline. Our balcony faces north and I can just make out downtown (right in the center of the picture below). I can also see the University of Utah campus where the "U" on the hillside is NOT lit up. What is this place?


It makes sense that this would happen. The metro area is following the light rail corridor down the valley. This would be a great place to live if you worked downtown. Of course, this mixed use zoning could mean that you wouldn't have to live far from your home. If you go for urban living.

The mistake I made was moving from the Salt Lake valley to Kitsap County in Washington. In Kitsap County There is no interstate. The people mostly drive the speed limit on highway 16. There is not a Target or Home Depot in my town. Or a mall of any consequence. Chelsea and I moved away from my family and my in-laws to a place where I am wholly content to live but the draw to return to live closer to the families is strong. It's got an uphill battle because I love where I live, my job is rewarding and well compensating, and Utah and Idaho are SO DANG HOT in the summer that I don't know how people live. (I know you Arizona and Texas people can't wait to chime in here, but I don't go further south than Payson, Utah in the summer months.)

Change is happening in Kitsap County, too. Seattle housing prices are causing many of those people to seek cheaper housing across the sound. This is having unfortunate consequences for those of us who are see our housing buying power eroded at an alarming rate.

To cap off this trip I'll be attending my 20 year high school reunion. Thanks to magic of facebook, a good deal of communication has been happening with the old high school class leading up to it. I'm sure that will be good times as well as a very stark reminder of many more changes that have taken place. Maybe I'll talk about it. Stay tuned to find out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home